Parish History

The History of Our Lady of Lourdes Parish

Lourdes: People, Faith & Hope, Home.

Our parish is named after the apparitions of Our Blessed Mother to St. Bernadette Soubirous, at Lourdes France in 1854. The shrine of Lourdes is known for its curative powers. Over five million people visit Lourdes each year. Our parish celebrates its birthday each year with Heritage Sunday in October.

Easter Beginning

Our Lady of Lourdes Parish began Easter Sunday, April 17, 1927. The first Mass was celebrated by Father Francis Biendl (1927-1932) in Dr. Charles Murray’s home located near the site of the present church. Six months later the white frame building was completed as the first church.

Rapid Growth

Archbishop John T. McNicholas was the spiritual leader of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati at that time. Rapid growth followed. Shortly after the frame church came another frame building was erected to serve as OLL School.

Our first festival was held in 1928. Energetic Father George Grunkemeyer (1932-1945) was OLL’s second pastor. He was succeeded by Father George Lamott (1945-1971).

More Growth & Construction

Under Fr. Lamott, there was more growth in the post-World War II era.

  • In 1948, part of the present school building was built. Until the present church, both the school cafeteria and the gym were used as church.
  • In 1960, the school annex was completed with eight classrooms. It is called St. Bernadette Hall.
  • The convent was built in 1961. Now it is the Parish Office Center. The present church was completed in 1967. An outward structure was added in 1981.
  • Msgr. Tensing was pastor from 1971 to 1986. He was succeeded by Fr. Francis J. Miller 1986 to1992 and Fr. Edward L. Rudemiller 1992 to 2005.  Fr. David Sunberg led our parish from 2005 to 2016 and Fr. Len Wenke was pastor from July 2016 until July 2022.  Our Lady of Lourdes is now part of a Family of Parishes consisting of St. Catherine's, St. Aloysius Gonzaga, St. Martin's, and St. Antoninus, led by Fr. Matthew Robben. The Families of Parishes began on July 1, 2022.

We have much to be thankful for here at OLL. God has been very good to us and blessed us with many gifts of His love. May our Blessed Mother continue to watch over us and keep us close to Jesus.